Friday 2 October 2015

Prelim and Evaluation


Evaluation of the Prelim

During the process of filming and editing the prelim clip, many skills were developed. For example learning to hold the camera correctly and steadily while filming to increase the quality of your film. Learning not to break the 180 degree rule to make your clip more realistic and at the same time not confusing the viewer. However, these were skills all developed when filming, we also developed some skills while planning, for example learning to co-operate with your group mates and putting ideas together so that your clip ties in fluently, as well as learning to draw a storyboard and annotate it correctly. While editing we had to familiarize ourselves with the editing software at first which took a large portion of the editing time, however when we finally got hang of it we doing our best to make our clip look as good as possible. I think that filming while following the 180 degree rule was quite challenging, however after understanding it's concept we had no trouble following the rule and I think this helped us greatly when it came to filming conversations as it made them look much more realistic and authentic just like they would in real life. I think personally I was better at editing than any other part of the process. This was because I am not particularly good at drawing and planning something I am unable to visualize yet, however as editing involves combining different clips and matching them together, I think this benefited me as I have a broad imagination and when I see different clips I would use my imagination to somehow combine them together. In addition, after the film was complete, watching over the clips I did realise that some aspects were better executed than others. For example I enjoyed the diegetic music, as I thought it made the transitions of clips more fluent, however I think we could have included a wider variety of shots. This is because, in my oppinion, the 'Close Up' shot was heavily overused and this made the clip a little stale. To improve upon this particular aspect, I think we could have included a match cut to intrigue the viewer and perhaps a little more dialogue. Overall, after finalizing the prelim, I realised that planning and storyboarding is vital for your film to be successful as it makes the filming process much easier and it prevents you forgetting what the next shot is going to be and having to re-plan over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment